It’s been a terrific year and I’m grateful for all the good things that have come my way. Here’s just a few of my favourite things, events, etc.
* Signing with Writers House literary agency in New York. Eighteen months of querying sure paid off.
* Seeing debut books by friends and acquaintances hit the bookstores. I bought ’em all. Congrats to Annie West, Anna Campbell, Christine Wells, Sara Hantz, Amanda Ashby, Tina Ferraro, Kelly Parra, Elizabeth Scott, Paula Roe, Robyn Grady, Stephanie Hale. (Thanks for the dedications, Annie and Anna – way cool!)
* Kinokuniya bookstore in Sydney.
* San Churro chocolateria.
* Bizarre exercise equipment bought over the Internet by my coworker Ann H. She gets them delivered to our office. The best was the iGallop, which is meant to simulate horse riding. You’d think it’d resemble a rocking horse, right? Well, it has four legs, but that’s where the similarity ends. It’s like something out of Futurama. And it isn’t something you can fold up and store under the bed. You’ll laugh so much when riding that thing, your stomach muscles will get toned in no time.
* Most vivid reading experience: Reading Stephenie Meyer‘s ‘Twilight’ whilst recovering from wisdom tooth extractions. Honestly, there was so much blood I felt like a vampire.
* Exotic tea. I’ve visited T2 almost every week. Who says tea’s boring? Best blends include choc chip chai, rose petals mixed with vanilla tea, genmaicha, red fancy fruit, creme brulee, and Turkish apple (which is fabulous as an iced tea with mint and chopped apple).
* The book that blew me away: ‘Speak’ by Laurie Halse Anderson. I’m in awe of her work.
* Spirituality. I learned there are four patron saints for writers: Saint Lucy of Syracuse, Saint Francis de Sales, Saint John the Apostle, Saint Paul the Apostle.
* Most of all, my husband, family, friends and cats. Awwww.
What made you happy in 2007?